About the Course
One of two half-day courses that can save your business and relationships, your health, and your sanity.
ALL ABOUT BURNOUT: STRATEGIES FOR PREVENTION AND RECOVERY
Burnout syndrome, once considered a “manager’s disease,” affects people across all industries. A slow-creeping form of exhaustion accumulated over years of perfectionism, stress and overwhelm, burnout is not just reserved for the highest-ranking professionals. It can happen to anyone and shares many of the same symptoms as depression. If left unchecked, burnout can quickly develop into chronic depression and infiltrate all aspects of life.
The World Health Organization’s International Classification of Disease, characterizes burnout as ‘a state of vital exhaustion.’ At the extreme end there are people who entirely shut down and end up in the hospital; at the other end is someone showing signs of anxiety, low mood and feeling detached from day-to-day life. ‘That’s what makes it so insidious,’ says Brian Rock, psychoanalyst, clinical psychologist and director of education and training at the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust. He describes it as, ‘a drip, drip, drip. Patients will say: ‘I didn’t know this was happening to me.’ It’s like a mission creep of sorts, where you find yourself working a bit later, taking calls on weekends, being less inclined to play with your children or feeling more isolated and irritable.”
From Dying for a Paycheck author Jeffrey Pfeffer (HarperBusinessPress, 2018)
This half-day offering is personalized and highly practical. Based on the latest behaviour change and burnout research, it is designed to go past the standard “talking points” lecture by helping you generate a burnout prevention/recovery strategy that can work for you individually as well as for your teams and direct reports.
You’ll end the session with
more than just motivation and knowledge;
you’ll be equipped to take back your life!
See accompanying course: ALL ABOUT STRESS: STRATEGIES FOR EFFECTIVE COPING
- You’ll discover the harbingers of burnout and the impact it has on individual, team, and organizational health and success.
- You’ll be able to recognize burnout in colleagues, team members and direct reports.
- You’ll practice talking to someone who is experiencing burnout, employing tools such as the Communication Cheat Sheet.
- You understand the critical necessity of resilience as well as how to cultivate it.
- You’ll analyze the results of the Maslach Burnout Inventory Toolkit*, helping identify and measure areas in your work life that increase or decrease the possibility of burnout.
- By applying the latest research in successful behaviour change, you’ll build a strategic plan to reduce and/or prevent burnout so you can implement it right away.
- You’ll leave the course with great enthusiasm and confidence in the plan you’ve developed.
- In addition to feeling motivated, you’ll take home a list of online and digital resources for follow-up, offering advice, support, and treatment suggestions.
Info and Contact
- Duration: one half-day (4 hours)
- Appropriate for managers, supervisors, technical and front line staff
- Includes comprehensive handouts, the Maslach Burnout Inventory Toolkit, and interesting group processes designed to enhance recall, build skills, and apply concepts
- Relaxation Response Options: These very short, workplace-appropriate stress management techniques may include: 5-minute head space, 4-6-6 reduction, mindfulness sitting practice with eyes closed and/or eyes open, short video vs. movement exercise, mindful movement with or without tai chi
- For detailed information please contact the instructor Dawn Groves